Weight Loss Surgery Facts
Are you thinking about bariatric surgery? Consider the following weight loss surgery facts, and learn more about obesity.
- Obesity puts health at risk and shortens lifespan.
- Obesity is a disease that is very resistant to diet and exercise.
- Weight loss surgery produces lasting weight loss, improved health, and longer life.
- Bariatric surgery has been proven a safe and effective treatment for obesity.
Weight loss surgery can be lifesaving for some people who have a lot of weight to lose and need more than diet and exercise.
- According to the Obesity Medicine Association, “Overweight, obesity and abnormal fat cell function is an epidemic chronic progressive complex medical disease. Therefore it should be treated by physicians in a manner similar to other chronic medical conditions.”
- According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, “Bariatric surgery can be a useful tool to help you break the vicious weight gain cycle and help you achieve long term weight loss and improve your overall quality of health and life.”
Weight loss surgery is a group of procedures used to treat severe obesity. The most popular types of weight loss surgery currently performed are vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), followed by Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAP-BAND or REALIZE Band), and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch.