About Dr. Alberto Carlos Rivas
Dr. Alberto Carlos Rivas is a specialist Laparoscopic (keyhole), and Bariatric Surgeon in Mexico. He is a fellowship trained surgeon having completed two fellowships in advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric (weight loss) Surgery.
Dr. Carlos Rivas performs a wide range of surgical procedures to treat obesity. He believes that patient safety and quality of life are key goals reflected in his clinical practice.
Dr. Alberto Carlos Rivas and his exceptional staff believe in not only ensuring that the patient is well prepared for their weight loss procedure, they are also well educated on the steps necessary to produce success. The patient’s success is their success.
Bariatric Solutions one of the most successful weight loss centers in Tijuana, Mexico, and Dr. Carlos Rivas has performed over 4,000 lap band, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgeries which have exceeded the national average of successful weight loss management.
A general medical licensed, as well as a general surgeon licensed. Dr. Carlos Rivas gained reputation early on after deciding to pursue bariatric surgery as his specialty, he is now considered a leading authority on the field of bariatric surgery, including the gastric sleeve, the gastric bypass and other bariatric surgical procedures.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Carlos Rivas has been a member of research teams that have published articles on a variety of surgical topics in several peer-reviewed journals. He continues to be involved in research and the development of innovative weight-loss surgery procedures.
- Degree in Medicine: From 2001 – 2007 Faculty of Human Medicine of the Autonomous University of Nayarit.
- Internship: From 2005-2006 Regional General Hospital No. 1 IMSS, Tepic Nayarit,Mexico.
- Social Service: From 2006-2007 in Family Medicine Unit no. 2, IMSS, Tepic Nayarit.
- General Surgery Specialty: From 2008-2012 in National Medical Center Northwest, of Mexican Social Security Institute.
- Chief Resident of General Surgery: From 2011-2012. Graduated with honorable mention as the best resident of general surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Fellowships:
- From January 2014 to January 2015, in Nephrology Institute Tijuana (INT) and Hospital Angeles Tijuana.
- Advanced training course in trauma surgery: April 2014. Taught by Military General Hospital in Mexico City.
- FAST ( Focussed abdominal Sonography in trauma) training: July 2013. Taught by Emergency medical Society of Baja California, depending of Autonomous University of Baja California.
- ACLS (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support): January 2013, certified provider by American Heart Association.
- Trans-congress course Gastric Bypass from A-Z, July 2015, International Federation for the surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO), Los Cabos, BCS, Mexico.
- Trans-congress course Gastric Sleeve from A-Z, July 2015, International Federation for the surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO), Los Cabos, BCS, Mexico.
- Advance laparoscopic surgery training, AMCE 2016. International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Veracruz Mexico.
- Single port laparoscopic Surgery training. AMCE 2016. International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Veracruz Mexico.
Certifications and Memberships
Board Certified Bariatric Surgeon:
Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases (CMCOEM).
Board Certified General Surgeon:
Mexican Council of General Surgery (CMCG).
- Active Member Mexican Association of General Surgery (AMCG).
- Active Member Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery (AMCE).
- Active Member Mexican College of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases (CMCOEM).
- Active Member of College of General Surgery in Tijuana.